Saturday, June 28, 2008

OK, this is really sad.

I saw gas for $3.98 a gallon, and I got excited. *shakes head*

So, people out there who are following the election: does any candidate support getting the Federal Reserve a flippin' clue? Earlier this week, they decided to leave the interest rate at 2%, but they're now putting back on the table the option of raising it later to combat inflation, because the economy is looking better.

*blinkblink*

Economy is looking better. Where do I start here?
1) I don't know anyone, including myself, who is doing as well now as they were a year ago. Most people I know, including myself, are doing noticeably worse than they were 3-6 months ago. I'm seeing a noticeable Not Improvement here.
2) One of the big problems is that the dollar exchange rate has been in the toilet for years. YEARS. What's one way to fix that? Raise the interest rates, thus making other countries want to invest in this one, thus making dollars more desirable in order to do so. (To put it in highly simplified terms, of course.)

As I touched on in February, I am very much getting to the point where I think "economic growth" is a euphemism for corporations pumping resources out of this country as quickly as possible for the benefit of a few. The more the economy "grows", the worse actual people seem to be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment